This position reports directly to the CEO and Founder. The Director of Operations is responsible for all operational activities of the Fulfillment Center (FC) including designing fulfillment processes, ensuring accurate completion of fulfillment orders, collaborating with our Software Engineers to design, build, and improve our Warehouse Management System (WMS), and recruiting, developing, and managing a team of Operations Managers and 50-100 warehouse employees. In addition, the Director of Operations will need to provide direct support to our clients.
The Director of Operations will be comfortable wearing multiple hats in a start-up environment: The successful candidate will be able to exercise high judgment and make important decisions that impact the trajectory of the business, and just as easily roll up their sleeves actively managing production operations on the warehouse floor.
Specific responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for the overall safety, quality, production, and customer experience of site operations.
- Review work forecasts and determine staffing needs to meet the daily, weekly, and monthly, overall site objectives.
- Monitor performance of warehouse staff; ensure proper coaching and development of the team.
- Support all safety programs to ensure a safe work environment for all fulfillment specialists.
- Actively develop and implement new processes as well as improve existing processes to enable the site to meet and exceed client expectations and the company business plan.
- Escalate all issues to the CEO.
- A completed Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university; degree in Engineering, Operations, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or related field preferred. MBA or advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Direct management experience of an hourly workforce; experience with a contingent workforce and management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including an ability to communicate with the senior leadership team, clients, and warehouse staff.
- Ability to operate in a continuous improvement environment where you will always be developing and implementing new ideas and creative solutions as well as improving existing processes.
- Ability to understand and manage to performance metrics.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and to use good judgment in stressful situations.
- Interest in long-term career development with a rapidly growing and innovative company.
In addition, this position entails the following:
- Ability to work in construction/distribution environments that may be noisy, unheated, and not air-conditioned.
- Walking around the warehouse with great frequency; continual standing or walking.
- Position has normal M-F daytime hours, but candidate must have the ability to adjust hours to work overtime and possibly nights and weekends during peak periods.